ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-comments]

Whois comments and privacy issues.

  • To: whois-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Whois comments and privacy issues.
  • From: David Clark <dec755sl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 10:11:17 -0500

To whom it may concern:

While I recognize and agree with the concept that certain law enforcement parties need access to all "whois" records, The idea of almost all "whois" record data being available to anyone who wants it as would be the case with "Special Circumstance" rules is more than a little frightening. While "OPoC (the Operational Point of Contact)" rules are not perfect either, they do not start by dismantling what little privacy remains to Internet users, and can be "fixed" after they are in place to allay law enforcement concerns. Such a fix would be useless after the fact under "Special Circumstances" rules. Public information cannot be made "un-public" public once it has been posted on the world wide WEB.

My response to "Special Circumstances" rules being adopted would likely be shut down my WEB sites. I'm certain that others would do the same.

Is this what ICANN wishes to accomplish? Whose interests would actually be served with such a change?

David Clark, President
David E Clark & Associates, Inc.