ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whois-services-comments]

WHOIS Privacy

  • To: <whois-services-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: WHOIS Privacy
  • From: "Sandy Beattie" <SBeattie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 17:24:55 -0800

To Whom It May Concern:

My name is Sandy Beattie, US Enforcement Manager for Oakley Inc.  I
manage Oakley's Intellectual Property Rights in the US.

I'm sure, I don't have to explain to you how the brick and mortar
locations, flea market or even back of the car sales are almost a thing
of the past

(at least in Oakley's case).  We are now spending more and more money on
trying to combat sales on the internet.

I am very concerned about the WHOIS privacy act.  We as trademark owners
rely on the information as an investigative tool. This tool is very
important when we are trying to protect our trademarks.

The oPOC and special circumstances proposal could defeat my ability to
access and use the WHOIS data because of the delay it and uncertainty of
what

information we would get.  We are on time lines and I can imagine the
back up in these types of cases.

I would like to urge the consideration for ICANN to establish a clear
and predictable procedure for rapid access to any Whois data that is
withheld from public access.

I would also like to urge the thought of ICANN to require registries and
registrars to do more to ensure that the contact data submitted
registrants are accurate and current.

(so important)

I also feel that the long-standing policy on public access should be
maintained unchanged.

I can't begin to tell you how much time is spent trying to locate these
individuals.  I had a case were a lady was local to Oakley and we could
never find her because of her fraudulent info (which it took at least 3
years).  When we finally got her she had 14 counterfeit websites.  If I
would have had the right info I could have taken care of her right away,
but we never did.  She ended up getting sloppy and we got an address
through several purchases.   But it took hours, many purchased and time
but we finally got her.

Please have some consideration on the companies that do everything to
help protect its intellectual property rights.  Yes, like an American
company (Oakley).

Regards,

Sandy Beattie

US Enforcement Manager

Oakley Legal

949-829-6352

This e-mail is the property of Oakley Inc.  It is intended only for the person
or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is
privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from disclosure. Distribution
or copying of this e-mail, or the information contained herein, to anyone other
than the intended recipient is prohibited.