ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[whoisrt-discussion-paper]

Whois Privacy

  • To: <whoisrt-discussion-paper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Whois Privacy
  • From: Brendan Stephenson <realmmaster26@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 11:18:55 +1000

While whois is perfectly fine for businesses it is a major problem for
personal websites. As an individual rather than a business I am given
the choice to either:

1. Release my most personal of information (including the address of
my house) to every man, woman and child with an internet
connection and hope that I don't piss someone off enough for any
serious consequences.

2. Make my whois data private, therefore forfeiting my ownership of
the domain to the provider.

3. Insert false whois information and take the risk of my website
being taken down.

4. Spend extra money per year on a post box and put that in as my
whois address detail.

None of these choices are ideal.

Of course none of this is ever explained to us by the provider and
once you have owned a domain, regardless of whether you do now,
that information is always there.

Can you please give us a solution that doesn't involve the sacrifice
of our privacy to the entire world? Only a select minority would have
a valid use for whois data so whouldn't it be better to confine it's use
to that select minority.

With regards,
Brendan