ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

XXX is a bad idea - Do NOT IMPLEMENT .xxx

  • To: <xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: XXX is a bad idea - Do NOT IMPLEMENT .xxx
  • From: "Terry Healy" <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 19:36:54 -0000

I believe a new TLD like .xxx is unnecessary.

There are numerous other ways to protect children from accessing adult
material on the Internet. The responsibility lies with the parents AND the
adult content producers and as such we should all be encouraging the use of
commercially available content filtering programs (netnanny, cybersitter
etc)

I encourage wider usage of the ICRA and/or RTA (restricted to adults)
tagging systems currently in place. If all adult sites were made to
implement these voluntery mechanisms then all sides of the debate would win.

.XXX only serves to restrict and burden genuine adult entertainment
companies from doing genuine business with adults.

Children can and will still attempt to access adult material illegally
regardless of whether the domain is located at a .COM, .Net, .BIZ or a .XXX

In fact, I believe .XXX will only serve to highlight online adult content
like a neon street sign highlights an adult threatre.

The answer to stopping children accessing online adult material lies with
the parents and the webmasters themselves. The systems are available and
people use them. We should encourage ALL adult websites to use suitable
tagging systems. We should encourage ALL parents to use suitable filtering
systems.

.XXX is not the answer.

Regards

Terry Healy