ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

Addressing Various Issues with XXX

  • To: xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Addressing Various Issues with XXX
  • From: "James George" <iamstretchypanda@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 23:33:11 -0500

I've been actively following this topic and would like to address some of
the common issues I have towards many views of those against the .XXX
movement.

Numerous times i have heard, 'There is an increased opportunity to
accidentally visit porn sites, especially for my children."
My view: Accidentally clicking a link and opening a page would be much
harder with .xxx.  For example, may porn sites may not have a web address
(domain) that reflects the content.  For example when whitehouse.com came
online in 1999 it was a political/adult entertainment website.  Many users
would be trying to access the White House webpage (whitehouse.gov) and
mistakenly be taken to a porn site.  This occurred untill the sale of the
domain (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitehouse.com). With .xxx this
situation could be totally avoided.  A user would not type in
whitehouse.xxxunless he was looking for pornography, just like a user
would not click a
link ending in .xxx unless he wanted to view pornography.

Many users want to "keep the smut off the internet."
My view: I believe these forums (and others) aren't talking about whether or
not porn should be on the internet, they are talking about whether porn
should be organized into its own category.  That being said, the .xxx TLD's
purpose is to separate the porn from the rest of the internet.  Having all
the porn under the .xxx TLD would make it MUCH easier to block porn and to
keep those "accidental pop-ups" to a minimum, perhaps none at all (as that
is the goal).  Having the porn under .xxx rather than .com .org .net and etc
will get the 'smut' alot farther out of the way than keeping the sites
integrated with .com's etc.

One parent suggested, "everyone needs accountability." And many others have
inquired that they believe having all the porn under .xxx will make them
easier to access.
My view: Go to google.com and type in porn or sex and hit enter.  How much
easier does it get? On the other hand if the porn was under a .xxx domain,
one could set their search to omit any websites ending with .xxx.  It would
also be much easier to hold children, spouses, friends, and etc more
accountable, because all you would have to do is open your browser history
and see if any .xxx websites were visited.  There are many pornographic
websites whose names would not normally be considered pornographic just by
looking at them (think whitehouse.com).

If .xxx did exist someone looking for porn could narrow their search to only
show .xxx websites, giving greater functionality to the user in that aspect
as well.

All in all, this will give parents a better tool to stay away from porn, and
porn users a more efficient way to find relevant results.

I am for the .xxx TLD

James George
Student, enthusiast.