ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

Proposed .XXX domain

  • To: <xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Proposed .XXX domain
  • From: "Rebecca A. Niepert Brinkley" <rabrinkley@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 09:44:44 -0500

I have read with growing concerns the plans for a .XXX domain.  As a mother,
concerned citizen and Christian I oppose such a move.  I've taken the time to
read over information from several sources and have the following concerns:

1.  Although the .XXX domain would be available to pornographers, they will not
be required to abandon their current .com sites thus doubling the exposure of
pornography.  I will not support a .XXX domain if pornographers are allowed to
keep their .com sites.

2.  I also wonder how you propose to police a .XXX domain when many pornography
sites already violate state and federal laws in regard to sale and distribution
of hardcore and/or child pornography.  In all of the information I've been able
to find, nowhere has anyone proposed how this .XXX domain will be policed.

3.  I am concerned that migration of a site to a .XXX domain might also hamper
law enforcement efforts for the above mentioned offenders.

4.  I've read that you propose to collect $10 a year from the .XXX sites and
use that for "education".  That proposal leaves me a bit confused.  You believe
that exposing children to the idea of pornography will in some way deter them
from visiting such sites?  I think you are mistaken.  Children are curious.
Furthermore, why would you want to soil innocent children's minds with the idea
of pornography?  Not every child has an interest and to "educate" them when
they don't have an interest might open a Pandora's box that could have been
avoided all together.

These are just a few of my concerns and I hope you will carefully consider
these points.  As adults we have an obligation to protect our innocent
children.  As businessmen and women we have an obligation to employ business
practices that won't harm our society.  We all know how bad pornography is.
We've heard the stories of destroyed families and exploited women and children.
 As members of the community do we want to be a part of the problem?  Wouldn't
it be better to be a part of the solution?  Rather than create a domain where
pornography reigns supreme, shouldn't we look toward policing that which is
already a part of the internet culture?  Are we being responsible citizens if
we create a safe-haven for pornographers?

Rebecca Brinkley