ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

Dot-XXX

  • To: <xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Dot-XXX
  • From: <rrbethea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 18:30:14 -0600

I have some grave concerns regarding the Dot-XXX.  Please see the following:

Dot-XXX will create an entirely new pornographic realm on the Internet.
Proliferating pornography will not protect children from pornography. It will
only increase the risk of exposure. Even if some families use filters to block
XXX sites, children in families who don't will be at greater risk of exposure
than before. A key point to remember is that pornographers will not be required
to abandon their dot-com Web sites.

Creating a dot-XXX domain would confer legitimacy to an industry that regularly
scoffs at the law. It’s like creating a free-market zone for drug dealers or
prostitutes to operate more effectively.

There are state and federal laws already in place prohibiting the sale or
distribution of hardcore pornography, but many Internet sites currently violate
those laws. Are we to believe they will adhere to the regulations of a dot-XXX
domain, especially since these regulations will not have the force of law
behind them?

Moving pornographic content to a dot-XXX domain might hamper enforcement
efforts. The problem will be seen as settled, and we could see a further
reduction in federal and local enforcement efforts.

        Please reconsider creating this.  Thank you for your time.
        Rosyline Bethea