ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

FW: Dear Concerned Citizen:

  • To: <xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: FW: Dear Concerned Citizen:
  • From: "Dave Wredberg" <dave.wredberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 08:52:27 -0500

ICANN Decision makers,

I emailed my concerns about the proposed .xxx domain to the Department of
Commerce, who suggested I contact you as well (see message below).

As a parent, grandparent, educator, and American citizen--I am very
concerned about the content on the Internet. The decisions being made
concerning control of Internet content will impact countless lives. As those
in decision-making authority, please do all in your power to limit the
presence of pornography on the Internet. It is a scourge and blight on every
life it touches--and it touches many.

What I have heard about the proposed .xxx domain is that it would be a
decision left up to the purveyors of pornography to comply with the desire
to move their operations to the .xxx domain. Depending on the integrity of
people involved in this kind of predatory, sleazy, exploitive business would
seem like an obvious case of the proverbial "fox guarding the henhouse." I
cannot conceive of them voluntarily foregoing all of the enticing contacts
they might continue to make through the normal Internet sites they now use.

Please take seriously your God-given opportunity to help stem the tide of
pornography--not expand it. Think in terms of those you love and the awful
toll that involvement with pornography might take in their lives. Please do
what is right, rather than what is merely expedient.

I would appreciate the courtesy of a reply.

Dave Wredberg