ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

Response to .XXX TLD

  • To: xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Response to .XXX TLD
  • From: BabyMaker! <pbm_20032000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 00:32:04 -0800 (PST)

As a business owner and internet surfer as well as a parent, I must object to
the proposed formation by ICANN of the .XXX TLD. The .XXX TLD will not provide
any further protection than is already in place, from various freely available
parental control software programs, to keep children away from mature themed
content, pornographic or otherwise, it will only start the internet as a whole
on a slippery slope of unnecessary censorship and governmental control. In
addition to unwanted censorship, the proposed .XXX TLD will also unfairly
target a legitimate business that has diligently since its inception fought
against the victimization of children, namely though industry funded
organizations that seek out child predators and child pornographers and work
with authorities in adding there capture and ultimate prosecution.
  A more viable alternative to the proposed .XXX TLD would be to implement the
formation of a .KIDS TLD, which would be regulated at the registration level,
preventing any interest or organization from purchasing and using a .KIDS
domain name for anything other than a web site geared towards children?s
education and entertainment.
  In conclusion, I would like to point out that never was the internet intended
for children, or to be used as a child?s unmonitored ?babysitter?, the internet
is a microcosm of the world itself and therefore is a very dangerous, but
exciting place to explore and learn as well as interact with various culture?s
and to do business. By starting the slippery slope of internet censorship
regulated by governmental bodies, opposed to self-censorship started in the
home or by the individual themselves, we will find ourselves collectively with
an internet that no one, myself included will want to visit!
  Sincerely,
  name edited

It's here! Your new message!