ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

.xxx top-level domains

  • To: xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: .xxx top-level domains
  • From: Benjamin Gould <ben@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:25:38 -0500

I think that the proposed plan is in good spirit, but I doubt its
effectiveness in protecting innocents from Internet pornography. Without
a mandate that *ALL* pornography on the Internet be relegated to such a
"bad neighborhood", what incentive would pornographers have to comply
with the plan?  After all, they will still want to target children and
other people would have specifically decided to block .xxx domains.  If
anything, such individuals would have a false sense of security in their
decision and may become less astute to what their family members are
doing on the Internet.

Consequently, if you do proceed with the plan, I strongly urge you to
ban Internet pornography from every domain other than .xxx.  This would
not be unprecedented; after all, top-level domains such as .gov and .edu
are already constrained to fairly specific content and organizations.