ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

A bad plan

  • To: <xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: A bad plan
  • From: "Mary Anne Layden" <layden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 10:54:02 -0500

I wish to urge ICANN not to approve the XXX domain.  As a psychotherapist who
treats sexual violence victims and perpetrators, I can absolutely assure you
that if you approve this domain that will increase the problems that I treat.
Do not in any way reward the sexual exploitation industry by giving them two
domains in which to exploit (the .com and .xxx).  Do not try to put the
American people into an inappropriate sense of safety and belief that something
has been done to reduce obscenity and child sexual abuse on the Internet by
this ill conceived plan.  The American people overwhelmingly say that they want
the government to enforce the obscenity laws.  The American people want to
reduce the damage to children that the Internet poses through pornography.  The
American people have begun to realize that Internet pornography is the new
"crack cocaine" as psychologists have been stating for a number of years now
and that it damages men, women children, families and marriages.

Those who support this domain either do not understand psychology, have been
lied to by supposed experts, or are motivated by greed and sex.  Please rethink
this proposal.

 If you do not approve this domain you can be the kind of hero for whom this
country so deeply hungers.

Thank you.

Mary Anne Layden, Ph D
Director
Sexual Trauma and Psychopathology Program
Center for Cognitive Therapy
University of Pennsylvania