ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

Opposition to the .XXX Domain

  • To: xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Opposition to the .XXX Domain
  • From: "Dave Clark" <dave.clark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:29:28 -0600

I am writing to you today to let you know of my opposition to the
concept of the .XXX top level domain.  I am both an adult webmaster
and a broker of adult content produced by photographers to other
adult webmasters, and as such, I have a lot of contact within the
adult industry.  I cannot see how such a TLD would be of benefit to
anyone inside the adult industry at all, period.

The very best case scenario for this would entail an added business
expense (for me alone, at $60 per domain per year, I would have to
pay about $2500 in additon registration fees per year, compared to
the $325 that I'm currently paying) while getting back absolutely
nothing in return.  At the very worst, I risk being forced by
governmental entities who have an aversion to free speech into what
would amount to a cybernetic ghetto that could be cut off by "well-
meaning" government types (or even ISP's) by simply filtering out
access to the .xxx domain.

The old adage is that when all you have is a hammer, everything looks
like a nail.  If you create a specific TLD for the segregation of a
type of speech, those opposed to others engaging in that type of
speech will pounce upon it as a tool to use against it.  We have
already seen this start to happen, even before the TLD became reality
before.  Why on earth would you think that it won't happen once it
does become a reality?

There is simply no need for such a TLD.  "Protecting the children"
from accidental exposure to adult material can be handled quite
readily by having webmasters insert an ICRA label into their content
(I make sure that all of my sites have this).  It's free for all to
use and very easy to implement, and it doesn't give the government
and moralists control over our business lives.

The bottom line is that the .XXX TLD is unwanted by the adult
industry, welcomed by the censors, and will serve only the line the
pockets of the single business entity that will be issuing names at a
cost nearly 5x the amount of the free market domains currently being
sold.  How anyone could take a cold, rational look at this and see it
as anything but a bald-faced monopoly scheme is beyond comprehension.

Please register my opposition to this ill-conceived plan.  Thank you
for your time.

                                                                        Dave
Clark

***
*** Arsenal Computer Inc. - Web-Legal Services
*** P. O. Box 5723, Topeka KS 66605
*** 785-246-9395 (fax line)
*** dave.clark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
*** Visit our Website at: http://www.web-legal.com