ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

I'm an adult entertainment industry webmaster opposing .XXX

  • To: <xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: I'm an adult entertainment industry webmaster opposing .XXX
  • From: "Joe Greenwald" <geedub@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 11:30:30 -0600

To Whom It May Concern;

    I am a simple adult entertainment webmaster, with the main amount of my
traffic on only three domains. However, even a small fish in the sea of this
industry, I own quite a few domains and they all have stuff on them. Currently
the price for a .com domain name costs me anywhere from 10 - 14 dollars to
register for a year. Now, you guys force everyone with adult entertainment
websites to change to .XXX domain names at 60 dollars each, I'm going to need
to scramble to register all of my domains before they are stolen from me at six
times the cost. Even a no body like me has competition, good domain names, and
other people would like to have them. So if this goes through one day I'm
either going to need to dump out several hundred dollars to get all of my
domains back and try and to keep my traffic, or just say screw it and quit what
I've been trying so hard to succeed at for the past two years? The ball is
rolling for me and all you're going to do is try and stop it for no logical
reasons. All .XXX would do for anyone in a gigantic industry is hurt. It would
make the US Government able to to enact a filter so all ISP's have to block
.XXX domains, thus shutting down for the most part a $12 billion a year
industry. From a nation with trillions in debt, why kill one of the best online
industries, especially after shutting down gambling? It just doesn't make
sense, not to me, and not to many others in this line of work. In another
sense, I don't believe that .XXX will have any effect on stopping children from
seeing things that are innapproriate for them. How long will it be until
everyone knows about .XXX and especially kids?? In most cases, the children in
families are far better at using their computers than their parents so what
good is any sort of filtering if the parents probably can't figure it out in
the first place? All in all, the big guns in the industry I choose to work in
will more than likely pull through, but think about the hundreds of thousands
just like me, who won't even stand a fighting chance.

Regards