ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

NO on .XXX

  • To: xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: NO on .XXX
  • From: "Jesse Goldberg" <jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 16:01:17 -0800

Dear ICANN,

The .XXX TLD is an unwelcomed burden to the adult industry. Whether you are
affiliated with online pornography or stand wholeheartedly against it, .XXX is
not a solution created with a child's best interest in mind. I can't see how
anyone could support .XXX. For adult webmasters, it forces you to give up your
previous business, frequent visitors (bookmarkers), costs much more, is
regulated through a 3rd party's MORALS (not by law), and can be used to
automatically block you from potential customers (college students.) As one who
loathes internet porn, why would you support something that assists in
legitimizing online pornography?

To all Americans, regardless of your personal opinion; consider just how fair
this regulation is. It is a violation of free speech. Would you expect to have
your church's website strictly designated to a .god domain? How do you think
Amazon or eBay would feel if they were forced to a .shop domain, leaving their
established brand-name up for grabs to whoever clicks 'register' the fastest?
I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate it. Neither does the majority of the adult
industry.

Many flaws exist within the proposal of ICM's .XXX TLD. For instance, parents
who have failed to install parental controls on their home computers will not
suddenly be urged to do so (should .XXX pass.) The implementation of this TLD
will not provide a cure for a parent's irresponsibility / ignorance.

Furthermore, the implementation of .XXX as a means of decreasing / stopping the
distribution of child pornography simply will not work. Sadly, child smut
peddlers are much too smart to fall victim to the regulation of a .XXX domain.
Why would someone doing something so illegal (and immoral) choose to be
regulated through the .XXX TLD? They won't. They'll continue to register .coms
(most likely through hosts located in poorly-regulated, foreign countries.)
They'll also continue to distribute their material through p2p file-sharing
services, which fall far beyond the reach of .XXX (as no domain registration at
all is required and anonymity is basically assured.)

I assure you that no honest adult webmaster intends to offer minors access to
pornographic content. Besides the fact that it is morally wrong... (Yes, we
have morals. We are people, too.) ...it is not a smart business decision. We
are a business like any other (for the most part.) We offer free 'sample'
content in hopes that adults will enjoy it, and thus buy memberships. To
purchase a membership, a credit card is necessary. Seeing as how minors cannot
legally own credit cards, they are obviously ruled out as the target market.
There are no benefits to providing minors with pornograpy. I, personally, am
disgusted with those who do, as well as with the parents that fail to regulate
what media their child views.

Unfortunately, the only ones who will feel the effects of this unwelcome burden
are the honest webmasters; who want only to bring sexually explicit content to
the eyes of mature adults who wish to view it. Some of you stand in favor of
being allowed the privilege of viewing online pornography. Some of you believe
it is corrupt, degrading to women, an exploitation of human sexuality, or
perhaps all of the above. Whatever your stance, I beg you to pardon your
previous bias if only for a minute, to see the ICM proposed .XXX TLD for what
it really is; a way of collecting larger revenues and supressing those who hold
an interest in seeing two consenting adults engage in sexual intercourse. How
will .XXX succeed? By selling you false promises that .XXX is sincerely
interested in protecting your children.

Did you know that the new .XXX TLD will cost webmasters $60 per domain vs $8-12
for a .com domain? Moral stance aside, isn't that a suspiciously large profit
markup for something solely intended to benefit children?

I've discussed the problems and deceit lying within the .XXX proposal; but what
about a truly effective solution?

I propose to you that all adult sites featuring and linking to adult content
should be forced to label themselves with an RTA label.
(http://www.rtalabel.org)
RTA labelling is detectable by parental software, is easy to integrate into
websites, and avoids the burden and fees associated with a .XXX TLD. If sites
fail to label themselves, they should be shut down immediately or subject to
fines/penalties of some sort. If ICM is sincerely interested in protecting
children, and not lining their pockets with cash, they should have no
complaints against this proposal.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope you will understand why I,
and the majority of the adult industry, DO NOT SUPPORT .XXX.

Sincerely,

Jesse Goldberg
Adult Dating Dollars
Jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx