ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

I oppose xxx domain

  • To: <xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: I oppose xxx domain
  • From: wls95201@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 18:37:27 -0800

I wanted to express to the decision makers at ICANN that I feel any move
towards a TLD of .XXX will in the be only detrimental and will serve no benefit
for the people who may be most affected by it adult webamsters and affiliates.
I feel any decision to implement this type of TLD while in the beginning the
utilization of the TLD maybe voluntarily; I feel that in actuality this will be
a spring board for government and groups to make the use of this TLD a
requirement and thus no longer a choice of the individual. While I cannot say
that the Adult Industry, its affiliates and associates always use the best
judgement when marketing, or in properly labeling website, and there are some
bad apples that troll the net and are always looking to exploit
vulnerabilities, but there are those of us that understand that sex will always
be something that in some will illicit a reaction in different people different
ways; IE some will buy the product or pay for a membership and have no issue
with doing so, and will enjoy and porn and adult action; and in some just the
very word 'Porn' will cause them to crusade against the Adult Industry, and a
tirade of damnation will rain down from their voices condemning all those that
view porn to a fiery hell upon judgement day!; and even will try and
effectively stamp out the industry the with religious rhetoric, and public
shame and on and on. I understand that the work I do and what I am doing may be
offensive to some, but I have no illusions that I will and the industry I
represent will be targeted sometimes legitimately and most times
illegitimately.

As a webmaster I have seven domain names I own and where I offer various forms
of free porn content to promote those adult companies I am an affiliate for.
From day one and until now I have not changed the way I handle and conduct
myself. I always have made sure I have warned anyone who visit my site or is
redirected to my site that the site is a Pornographic and sexually explicit and
those offended and not legal age to view the site; that site is not appropriate
for underage individuals; I have also used and labeled my sites with the meta
tags and have actively and voluntarily submitted my sites to parental blocking
sites to ensure active blocking of my sites.

I have found nothing online or any content I have read that provides the
reasons as to moving toward such a TLD is necessary and why it would be
beneficial for all the concerned parties and what benefits this would have for
the internet as a whole. I feel that the adult industry is at a point where
such labeling would not be beneficial and would in the end be used to suppress
freedom of speech, or at least used to severely restrict it. As an owner and
affiliate working in the Adult industry I am not in favor and nor would I
willing submit to using such a TLD as .XXX. I feel that this would become the
scarlet lettering of the modern times and if the arguments for such a move are
about the protection of children or other social issues then I can sure say
with certainty that this not resolution and never will be. I would also like to
point out that how much the adult industry contributes to the popularity and
financial viability of the internet and the world wide web.