ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

opposed to .xxx

  • To: <xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: opposed to .xxx
  • From: "Jeff" <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 00:57:06 -0800

Hi,

I am an adult webmaster and I wanted to contact you and let you know that I
do oppose the creation of an .xxx extension. First it will not keep kids
away from porn. There are already many different types of filtering programs
out there that do a very good job of this. All someone would have to do is
type in www.whatevertheywant.xxx <http://www.whatevertheywant.xxx/>  and
they will get porn. No more even needing to search for it. Second it goes
against much of what the Internet is about which is that is a free wheeling
bastion of free speech and idea exchanges. Having an .xxx would create a
virtual red-light district and thus make it easier for defacto-censorship to
occur. Lastly it could cause many problems and confusions. People with
established sites that have worked for years would have to ensure they got
the .xxx extension of their existing names and then they would have to make
sure everything was transferred properly. I can see this would bring about a
lot of different headaches.

I hope that you deny the .xxx extension and even go a step further and stop
bringing it around for another vote in another 6 months.