ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

I Oppose the XXX TDL

  • To: xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: I Oppose the XXX TDL
  • From: Romeo <Romeo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 10:29:57 -0700

I am in the adult entertainment industry and I oppose the XXX TDL. This was a bad idea when you wisely decided against it earlier and it is still a bad idea now.

   * It "ghettoizes" the industry, making adult entertainment an easy
     target for anti-industry extremists and government intrusion.
   * It will add, unnecessarily, to the cost of doing business. At $60
     per URL per year, the cost to a member could reach tens of
     thousands of dollars annually. Many in the adult entertainment
     industry will purchase and park addresses, realizing no benefit to
     this added expense. Finally, there will be countless battles for
     names, and the resulting arbitration will be costly.

   * The .XXX option could enable the industry's enemies to convert
     even a voluntary .XXX domain use into an effectively mandatory
     requirement by pressuring private parties, such as credit card
     processors, to require .XXX use and compliance. In this way, ICM
     through unchecked rule-making could "back door" all the
     governmental regulations that we have beaten back. If that happens
     the industry would not have its most potent weapon, the First
     Amendment to challenge ICM because ICM is not a governmental entity.
   * The ambiguity with which ICM plans to establish its governing
     board is of grave concern as there exists strong potential for
     censorship, which is clearly not in the best interest of the
     industry or for ICANN.