ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-revised-icm-agreement]

Adult webmaster AGAINST the .xxx tld

  • To: xxx-revised-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Adult webmaster AGAINST the .xxx tld
  • From: enrique@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 14:04:06 -0700

Hi,

I have emailed my comments about the ICM's .xxx tld proposal in the past and I
regret having to do so again. It's is clear and has been made clear in the past
that the adult industry (the intended target for the .xxx tld) does not want
the .xxx tld. Why do we have to keep repeating ourselves? Why doesn't ICANN put
an end to this madness?

Last June, after the meeting in Brussels, the ICM Registry made several
statements that the .xxx tld had been approved while obviously this wasn't the
case. This was just one of many shady tactics the ICM has been using since the
.xxx tld was first proposed.

The ICM claims to have the support of adult webmasters, based on .xxx
preregistrations. Many of these preregistrations were defensive actions of
adult webmasters who wish to protect their trademarks. Even though the ICM
promised no to use those defensive registrations as a sign of support, they did
do so.

The ICM claims that the matter of industry support has already been settled and
doesn't matter any more (Stuart Lawley posted this several times on the XBiz
discussion board) while ICANN itself stated that the ICM still had "to ensure
that it still had sufficient backing from the adult industry to justify its
creation" (1). The use of misinformation is a constant in the history of the
ICM Registry.

Last time when ICANN requested comments on the .xxx tld, the majority of emails
came from people who were opposed to the .xxx tld (both adult webmasters and
religious groups). Only a small number of pro-.xxx tld mails were sent in. Most
of those came from registrars (people who stand to make a lot of money if the
.xxx tld ever gets approved). Then there's the matter of an email the ICM sent,
supposedly on behalf of 240 members of the adult industry (2). This was quickly
exposed as a fraud on many adult webmaster forums. Almost none of the names on
that list were known in the adult industry. Most of the names didn't even show
up in a Google search or at least not related to anything 'adult'.

I could go on and on about the tactics of the ICM.

Fact remains that:
* I, as an adult webmaster, don't want the .xxx.
* I, as an adult webmaster, will refuse to do business with anyone using a .xxx
domain (if the .xxx ever gets approved. I hope it doesn't).
* I, as an adult webmaster, have never encountered any kind of support for the
.xxx on adult webmaster boards or during adult webmaster meetings or gatherings.
* The .xxx tld would do nothing to keep children safe from coming into contact
with adult content.
* RTA, Safesurf, safelabling tags and other means of self-identification are
already in use in the adult industry. The ICM's claim that the .xxx tld
provides a much needed solution to an identification problem is simply false.
* The ICM's claims that the .xxx tld would make it possible (or easy) for ISP's
to filter adult content (quote from Lawley) contradict the ICM's claims that
the use of the .xxx would not be mandatory for adult content. Using the .xxx
tld to filter out adult content would only be effective if all sites with adult
content used a .xxx domain (and abandoned their .com or .net domains). So
either the ICM's claim about ease of filtering is false because an ineffective
way of filtering would add no benefit to ISP's (that wish filter content). Or
the ICM is planning to lobby to make the use of .xxx domains mandatory for
adult content. This would make sense from the ICM's point of view since their
target audience (adult webmasters) are opposed to the .xxx proposal. This would
not only be unethical, it would also create a ton of problems for ICANN. Who
would police the .com, .net and other tld's?

Suffice it to say that the the ICM and their .xxx tld have already created more
problems for ICANN and the adult industry than they could ever wish to solve
(if that were the ICM's intentions. By now we all know they are simply after
the money).

Regards,
Eric

(1) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10412765