ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-tld-agreement]

.xxx tld

  • To: <xxx-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: .xxx tld
  • From: "Tom" <tvbair@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 15:50:24 -0400

Hello,

In my opinion, approving a top level domain such as ".xxx", ICANN would be
serving nothing less than the process of censorship and segregation.

Realistically, if .xxx is approved, every adult website would instantly buy at
least one corresponding .xxx domain name for every .com, .net, .org and .info
domain they already own. Causing an overnight doubling (at least) of adult's
only websites on the internet. It is then a foregone conclusion that some
governments would pass laws stating that all adult websites must be located
only on .xxx domains.

While mass purchases of .xxx domains would be a short-term windfall for every
person, entity, investor, beneficiary of the domain sale itself, it is a
blatantly predictable slope to pure censorship based on the moral judgement of
a few. I do not believe that anyone truly wishes to lend tools and implicit
approval towards the ends of censored speech.

It is clear that if .xxx is approved, laws will be passed to segregate people,
punishments will be meted out on violators, children will know that all they
need to do is add a ".xxx" to any word to see adult materials, and nothing will
be served but censorship when ISP's put a total block to access of any domain
with a .xxx on it. Speaking for myself, I do not wish to see any .xxx tld
approval. What I want to see is creation of .kids tld.

We create books for children (we dont burn every book that could potentially
offend a child). We create playgrounds for children, (we dont fence off every
landscape that could potentially cause injury to a child). We, as adults and
parents, create environments which, when children are placed there, we know
they are safe. I can see nothing more obvious than creating a "internet
playground" for children on the .kids tld.

It is an obvious choice if the true intention was to protect children. Consider
that carefully.

A .xxx tld would immediately double the number of adult websites on the
internet. I do not support it. Please do not approve, and with your approval
lend implicit agreement, with those who wish to segregate the wrong group of
citizens.  It is backwards, and in my opinion will only serve the interests of
a few people who want to limit free speech. If you truly want to do a greater
good, then take .kids into consideration as a clearly obvious alternative.

In short, .xxx is about punishing adults, whereas .kids is about protecting
children.

Tom
Checked by AVG Free Edition.