ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-tld-agreement]

Public opinion

  • To: <xxx-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Public opinion
  • From: "Torow, Justin" <jtorow@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 06:51:35 -0600

I am not sure that my opinion will count for much; however, it is my right and
resposibility to have one and express it, so with that said, regardless of what
I do in my private time I do not feel this is an appropriate measure.  As the
average citizen, I abhore censureship and this is essentially what this amounts
to.  This provides ISP's the ease to shut off access to what they feel the
public shouldn't see, and thus be able to control what content is viewed and
not viewed.  This is a slipperly slope, what's next, giving companies specific
extensions, so that ISP's can contract with them, to only allow their partners
sights to be viewed.  No as many problems as can be associated with easy access
to adult material on the web, allowing it to be quarantined and  thus censored
will only lead to the degradation of our values and the constitution.
Additionally should this measure be approved, at the very least it should be
taken under consideration that giving the power to assign these to ONE company
creates a monopoly with all of the well documented problems that go along with
that.  Please consider this and defeat this proposition, or if you will not
then at the least do not give one corporation the power to control and profit
off of this.

Justin B Torow
Technical Recruiter
Systems Engineering Services Corporation
5 Concourse Pkwy
Suite 1250
Atlanta, GA 30328
jtorow@xxxxxxxx