ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] New gTLDs analysis -- Draft

  • To: Wendy Seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] New gTLDs analysis -- Draft
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 18:52:48 +0200

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 12:32:10 -0700, you wrote:

>No, I think the proposal was specifically aimed to eliminate that
>problem.  Applicants could describe a proposed gTLD, whose registry would
>be handled by $Operator, where $Operator could later be filled from among
>the set of entities who had met a set of minimal technical qualifications
>(and further, that $Operator could be changed without ICANN involvement).

I hadn't thought at this in these terms, but yes, it seems a good
idea. Basically, the contract between ICANN and the gTLD
registry/applicant should require that the registry either operates
in-house after having gained accreditation as registry operator, or
subcontracts operations to any ICANN accredited registry operator -
but ICANN needn't even to know which operator you are going to use...
--
vb.                  [Vittorio Bertola - vb [at] bertola.eu.org]<---