ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] New gTLDs analysis -- IDN

  • To: "Interim ALAC" <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] New gTLDs analysis -- IDN
  • From: "Dr Xue Hong" <hongxue@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 18:53:19 +0800

> I'm not worried for the commercial companies: I'm just a strong
> believer in market principles yielding optimal results for
> consumers, and I'm opposed to anything which amounts to unnecessary
> regulation of this market.  I'm even more opposed to anything which
> moves the evaluation of a TLD proposal (i.e., the *application* of
> criteria) into the sphere of political considerations.

Great! Market economy means openness of market and competition. So let NEW
runners to enter into the market, and the first step of market entry is
participation of the evaluation. Denial of participation of the language
community (the new blood of market)and insistence of making the criteria
within the circle of current operators are the typical characteristics of
plan economy.

> But maybe I'm missing some other aspects a "no harm" evaluation of
> an IDN TLD identifier should take into account...  If so, I'd very
> much appreciate if you'd tell me about these.

In this regard, I can give out thousands of examples. The small part of the
mapping table for variants of Chinese characters have already illustrate
this very clear.

??
Xue Hong