ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] WIPO2: Just one comment.

  • To: alac@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [alac] WIPO2: Just one comment.
  • From: Thomas Roessler <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 19:59:20 +0200

We have only received a single comment on our WIPO2 statement, from
Alexander Svensson; see
<http://forum.icann.org/alac-forum/wipo/msg00000.html>.

Besides supporting our statement, Alexander makes the following
observation: "ICANN already had to deal with the request by its
Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC) to reserve country names under
the .INFO top level domain. Interestingly, it seems that only a
small group of governments has put the reserved domain names to
use."

(In fact, upon a quick check, only 21 country names seem to be in
actual use in .info, with some 200 being reserved by ICANN.)

I suppose that we should submit our advice to ICANN's secretary as
it is now, possibly with minor editorial changes.
--
Thomas Roessler                         <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>