Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: S. Hudgens
Date/Time: Wed, June 6, 2001 at 6:09 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Subject: New TLDs

If you think that no new domains are needed, then please think harder.  What about people who want to start an Internet business?  Let us say I want to sell books on the Internet.  Do you really believe I stand a snowball's chance in hell of ever securing a decent name (without having to sell a kidney or other organ to raise enough money to buy it)?  Sure, I could probably register book12EZstore.com for the bargain price of $10 a year, but is that really useful?  Would you open a bookstore in a ghetto?

.biz is useful as a TLD only to the point where TM holders are not able to steal away generic terms (i.e. somebody registered 'book' as a trademark, and uses some twisted logic in thinking that no one else can ever use that term).  This is why we desperately need .web introduced.  It will compete with .com nicely and open up the domain space. 

By your logic, the Internet already has enough companies, and can do without further expansion.  Surely you did not mean to imply that.  You said "The dot-com collapse has greatly reduced the total demand for domain names".  Perhaps, but why don't you run out and try to buy books.com, and let me know if you are able to get it on the cheap.  You can't, and that is because there is no real competition for .com, and the space is too crowded.

We need new TLDs, but specifically, we need IOD's .web!

S. Hudgens

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy