Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: antipodes
Date/Time: Wed, September 19, 2001 at 8:15 AM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.74 using Windows 98
Subject: despair at antics and at some registrar's emails and sites

Suhail, will you please continue to check the whois for confirmation that your six .info names were in fact registered during the quiet period - Bob may be right in that you may have been receiving confirmation of preregistration or queuing - although if you have already paid your prereg and the mail says "registered" I would be despairing too.

If it is as Bob has suggested - then it raises a concern of the frustration I have had with emailed advice from some registrars which are plain confusing - which parallels the intentional tricks of some registrar's web sites which I am sure are intentionally confusing.

How many of you encountered the registrars whose sites never mentioned whether they were multiple or single request queuing?  They had a page which said the name was available in a manner similar to the one-name-once-only sites, or, you provided your card detail and had to confirm an order before you had confirmation of availability of a name.

When I encountered such scam business practice or was in doubt, I cursed the registrar and never returned to the site.  Months ago I had the decided impression there were registrars taking .info Landrush preregistrations who never planned to be in business after the rollout was over, because the way they treated prospective customers ensured that very few if any would return.

Now to my point - while some registrars had clear, accurate, current and easy to navigate sites, others were a complete and utter abomination.

I think for the good of the paying customer, ICANN via the relevant  registry has to set and maintain appropriate standards in the websites of registrars.

I know there will be arguments from the likes of ICANN and the registries that they don't want to impose too many regulations on honest folk going about their business - but my experience during the .info rollout indicates that there are some which are scamsters and their web sites are traps for both the novice and experienced alike.

There are regulations against sharp or deceptive practice in every other field of business - why not in the registrar business.  The honest and professional registrars have nothing to fear, while the implementation of an effective code of best practice would shake the monkeys from the trees that the industry and the public don't need.

I think that together with Bob's great proposal for the formulation of the top ten questions for investigation - posters may wish to consider a list of those things we would like to see emerge from an investigation which would make the domain world a safer place for the average Internet user.     

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy