Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: cambler
Date/Time: Fri, October 19, 2001 at 1:35 AM GMT (Thu, October 18, 2001 at 5:35 PM PST)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0b using Windows 98
Subject: That's "Ambler" :-)

C for Christopher, Ambler for Ambler = CAmbler

The "majority" of generic names have not been registered. There are slightly over 26,000 registrations, and quite a few of them are compound names. Regardless, there are hundreds of thousands of what you might consider "marketable" domains.

But I don't consider the marketability of a domain name above and beyond how well it relates to a web site. I don't speculate in domain names. Those who do, do so on their own business.

If IANA had not specifically asked us to make the registry operational in 1996, we'd still have a registry with 0 names registered. On the other hand, had they not asked us to make it operational, we would have never built it out, much less proven its abilities. In that case, I think we would have never been able to make the case that we knew what we were doing, and our pioneer status would be questionable, at best.

It's that 5+ years of operational status that prompted Dr. Cerf to state that he felt .Web should be reserved for us in the next round.

Christopher Ambler
CTO, Image Online Design, Inc.
The .Web Internet Domain Registry
http://webtld.com

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy