Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: S. Hudgens
Date/Time: Tue, October 23, 2001 at 3:57 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Subject: New.Net

Why isn't the .WEB Community trying to get added to New.Net's servers?"

I don't presume to speak for the entire .web community, which is soon to be no different than the .com or .net or .org communities (a.k.a. the Internet Community).  However, I believe I can say that the '.web community' isn't trying to get added to New.Net's servers because they don't want to be added to New.Net's servers.

When New.Net first launched, I supported it only because it was an 'in-your-face' move toward ICANN.  Thankfully, a cooler view on my part prevailed.  It was then I realized that although ICANN was wrought in corruption, New.Net only made matters worse.

I am so tired of people touting this 70,000,000+ users visibility number (50 percent of users is also quoted).  That number might as well be zero.  As I have said, *close* only counts if you are playing horseshoes or throwing hand grenades.  If you don't have 100 percent visibility, then you might as well sit in front of your computer and play tiddledywinks.  *ALL* New.Net offers are a wide selection of domains that only make people *feel* good about the domains they own, for they will never be able to claim 100 percent visibility.

So, this is why the '.web community' might prefer to wait patiently whilst ICANN sorts through the inevitable, which is the inclusion of IOD's .web in the root.

Buy all the New.Net domains you want.  Sadly, I purchased two many months ago, and occasionally I think of them fondly, as they are a symbol of my past ignorance.

Shelby Hudgens

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy