Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: S. Hudgens
Date/Time: Fri, October 26, 2001 at 5:28 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Subject: .INFO

I think .INFO will eventually become a good tool for the reasons you mentioned, but its goodness is unfortunately limited, to a certain extent, by how well Afilias can overcome their own incompetence.

In my view, there shouldn't be any limits to how may TLD's there are in the root.  ICANN as a body should only be involved in weighing the technical soundness of an applicant, avoiding conflicts, and not predetermining the value of the TLD being applied for.  Each will stand own its own merits, and market conditions will determine which are successful.  Just because we like a TLD doesn't necessarily mean it will be widely accepted.

I also believe we do need a generic TLD that will not become limited by its description.  While .INFO is simply wonderful for sites like weather.info or consumer.info (among many others), there are other situations where it might not make sense. 

The goodness of a TLD shouldn't be determined based on how it conflicts with another existing TLD.  It isn't like the success of .INFO is dependant upon another TLD's approval, such as .WEB.  Both will stand or fall on their own merits.

Shelby Hudgens

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy