Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: S. Hudgens
Date/Time: Fri, October 26, 2001 at 9:36 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Subject: Yes.

Yes.  I have never understood this concept of overlap.  I think the arguement is that there shouldn't be two or more TLD's that could be used in the same manner.  But I still don't understand even that definition.

This is one of the reasons I have always liked .WEB.  Really, .COM is now a generic domain, regardless of its intended use, and .WEB would compete well with it.  Since .COM is the dominant force, we need a TLD that will ease some of that congestion.  .WEB would do that.

If you have two or more TLDs that could have similar uses, wouldn't you register a name under the better one?  I believe that even if ICANN approved every valid application and introduced hundreds of TLDs, in short order we would only have a handful because the market would decide which ones were worthy of plunking down money for a name.  The rest would fold for lack of revenue, and the TLD could then be snapped up and applied for by any company who thinks they could run the registry better, and the cycle would continue.

Shelby Hudgens

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy