Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Gregory W. Krajewski
Date/Time: Wed, October 31, 2001 at 12:27 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Subject: Image Online Design's message has never changed....

One thing that has always intrigued me about Image Online Design is their ability to articulate their claim of the dot web TLD.  It does not suprise me why Dr. Vinton Cerf (widely known as the father of the internet) opted not to give Afilias dot web.  It is why they have legions of supporters from around the globe.  It is why they are known "by name" with all the congressional leaders in the Senate and the house (United States Congress).

The only message I have ever heard come from Image Online Design is that they created the dot web registry in response to IANA's blessing to show the world that it was possible (in 1995) to build a robust registry, complete with a WHOIS.  It was the message they had back then, it is the same one they have today.  One caveat they do add, and I have heard their CTO say this on more than one occasion, is that if you have any ideas to better our registry, please let us know...

That has always been there message and one of the biggest reasons why they can claim sole ownership of the dot web TLD.  Which is important these days, when it comes to "security" of the internet.  It's good to know who is running what TLD.  I think that is why some "alternate" providers will have trouble getting into the main root.  There are just too many other providers selling the "same" TLD...

If you look at other more recent companies that have come out of the TLD gates, their business models are almost changing daily....This is not a "secure environment".....Consumers can be fooled.  Image Online Design knows this, and have nevered wavered from their message with regards to their "proof-of-concept" registry.  It is why they went to court to block others from trying to confuse consumers with their product [dot web]....In 1997 CORE seen what Image Online Design was doing, and didn't seem to think it was a problem to sell the same TLD...Thankfully they were able to stop them from doing this....In 1999 very few people really understood how important intellectual property was to the validity of the internet....in 1999 everyone thought Image Online Design was trying to be greedy...How wrong now do those early pundits seem?? This really makes Image Online Design pioneers on two fronts:  Intellectual Property and it's proof-of-concept registy...

I will say it over and over again....Image Online Design message has always been the same:  "We [Image Online Design] built the dot web registry as agreed upon by IANA, we have shown it to be robust...we're just waiting for approval by those who took over IANA's responsiblities"... 

It's not a surpise why they have been able to stand the test of time:  Their "message" has never waivered....Sam Walton (Walmart Founder) understood this "same message" concept...Their message "without looking it up on Walmart.com" is "We will provide you a product at the lowest guaranteed price"...That message has never changed...and is reason they are the world's #1 retailer...

The difference in the above comparisions between Walmart and Image Online Design is one operates in a Free, competitive market...It's only by Image Online Design's fiscual acumen, and pioneering vision they are here today....Yes, they have detractors, and some who would like the dot web TLD, in the end that is all "today's news"....Meanwhile, Image Online Design keeps preparing for their eventual merger with the legacy root!

Gregory W. Krajewski
President, K2 Enterprises

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy