Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Garry Anderson
Date/Time: Tue, November 6, 2001 at 10:25 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Subject: Enough

For those of you interested in Justice and the rule of law.

There is many things about this... - but it is wrong forum.

Just no replies about what the UN said in response to US bullying about you are either with us or against us.

IN FACT NO REPLIES - I HAVE HEARD ENOUGH PROPAGANDA FROM BOTH THE LEFT AND RIGHT - I WILL IGNORE THEM.

Just to say, I believe it is about getting an oil pipeline into Afghanistan.

You will see one being laid when the war is over - just see if I am right.

An act of war in reply for a criminal act (US Anti-Terrorism Act of 1995) is totally disproportionate response.

If it does come down to this - then it should have been done through the International Court of Justice. Amongst other things, they resolve the 'Legality of Use of Force'.
http://www.icj-cij.org/icjwww/icj002.htm

A few quotes for you, from:

HOUSE COMMITTEE ON INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS

SUBCOMMITTEE ON ASIA AND THE PACIFIC

FEBRUARY 12, 1998

WASHINGTON, D.C.

Today we would like to focus on three issues concerning this region, its resources and U.S. policy:

The need for multiple pipeline routes for Central Asian oil and gas.

The need for U.S. support for international and regional efforts to achieve balanced and lasting political settlements within Russia, other newly independent states and in Afghanistan.

***South to the Indian Ocean: A Shorter Distance to Growing Markets***

A second option is to build a pipeline south from Central Asia to the Indian Ocean.

One obvious potential route south would be across Iran. However, this option is foreclosed for American companies because of U.S. sanctions legislation. The only other possible route option is across Afghanistan, which has its own unique challenges.

The country has been involved in bitter warfare for almost two decades. The territory across which the pipeline would extend is controlled by the Taliban, an Islamic movement that is not recognized as a government by most other nations. ***From the outset, we have made it clear that construction of our proposed pipeline cannot begin until a recognized government is in place that has the confidence of governments, lenders and our company.***

In spite of this, a route through ***Afghanistan appears to be the best option*** with the fewest technical obstacles. It is the shortest route to the sea and has relatively favorable terrain for a pipeline. The route through Afghanistan is the one that would bring Central Asian oil closest to Asian markets and ***thus would be the cheapest in terms of transporting the oil.***

http://www.house.gov/international_relations/105th/ap/wsap212982.htm

Link: WIPO.org.uk

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy