Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: spot
Date/Time: Thu, November 8, 2001 at 7:51 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Subject: I agree new.net, .tv,.to are a waste of space. Give .web a chance.. .biz names could have some value

New.net are selling too many domains. I believe having to remember the domain name and ending would confuse many people. Also one monopoly over one name can be problematic in terms of them treating customers like dirt and even blatently committing fraud, as we have seen with Afiliarse.

.web to me does not seem to offer anything new really, but I'd prefer a .web to a .biz. Also at least the registry mingles with their customers in this forum, instead of ignoring them behind a smokescreen of corruption like Afilias. Give them a chance, I say.

I wouldn't say .biz names are completely useless. The generics may have an aftersales value to  someone with a long .com, or even a business who has settled for a .org name (which looks embarrassing to me).The value of a domain name is not soley for type ins. A large company may be embarrassed by its crap domain which it had to settle for because everything else was taken. They may prefer a much sleeker name and businesses can get away with having a .biz. They will always be lower than .coms and .infos though.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy