Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: spot
Date/Time: Sat, November 10, 2001 at 7:37 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Subject: Customer service in the UK

Since we're on the subject, I thought I'd take the opportunity to tell you folks in other countries how common poor customer service is in the UK.

Banks, telecoms companies, utility companies, any large firm with lots of locations etc have all adopted call centres, and since that point have gone way down hill. Everything in these places is logged and monitored against benchmarks stats for measuring 'efficiency'.

I know from first hand knowledge that in most of these companies that the efficiency of employees in the call centre is monitored primarily on the average length of calls they are dealing with. The quicker, the more efficient in their selfish and deluded logic.

What has happened is that you regularly get cut off before you even get to speak to someone - a load of 1 second calls boosts their averages. Also the people constantly want to end the call, and are reluctant to deal with a query thoroughly, anmd you often get passed around departments in a circle.

A friend of mine who worked in a bank was told by his boss 'I don't care how you get rid of customers- fobb them off, pass them on to another department - it doesn't matter, just get rid of them as quickly as possible.'

These are every day companies- companies I need to contact on a regular basis, and have done for years. As more and more things in society are taken over by extreme capitalist cost-cutting culture, I see everyday life suffering in ways that it did not before.

I hope these companies don't follow the email support model adopted by many registrars- I waited nearly a week for a response from Registrer.com, and even then it did not answer my question- i suspect they have to get through 300 emails per day to be efficient or something, same old problem. 

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy