Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Garry Anderson
Date/Time: Wed, November 21, 2001 at 1:55 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Subject: ICANN's Lynn: No new domains anytime soon

An article on CNN, entitled 'ICANN's Lynn: No new domains anytime soon'

My objective analysis:

This is more ICANN bull, about 'proof of concept' etc.

Talking about PoC, "Proof is a very difficult word in this context. We have a task force that I'm chairing that is coming up with recommendations on how to evaluate the current round of introductions. I suspect that the report of that committee will be a month or two away."

It is logical that they should have criteria already set - so there should be no need for recommendations on how to evaluate. Just answer the question, has each of the criteria been met?

The question that should have been asked - why did they not stop all the fraud (both business and false TM holders) when they first found out about it?

And why do they continue to ignore it?

To the question, "Do new TLDs jeopardize the stability of the DNS?"

The answer, "One of the reasons we're doing a proof of concept is to try to answer that question. Scalability in terms of performance is one of the issues that's been raised by the [Internet Engineering Task Force], and we don't know the answer to that because it's been 15 years since major generic TLDs were introduced. We have some learning to do."

Totally forgetting to mention the introduction of over 200 ccTLD - and how this has not destroyed the Internet.

Of course, Lynn had to add, "There are also different kinds of stability, including trademark and cybersquatter issues."

As I have said MANY TIMES BEFORE:

Most trademarks share its name or initials with many others. When authorities could put trademark identity beyond shadow of doubt, they are either devoid of intelligence or corrupt.

They continue to use propaganda - ask them to deny this:

That THOUSANDs of new open TLDs will not solve any problem - even if every one has 'Sunrise Period'

It will not solve 'consumer confusion', 'trademark conflict' or stop anybody 'passing off'.

Also, as an example on Sunrise, thousands of trademarks using word 'Apple' have no guarantee of being able to use name.

Apple computers will still protect and make claim to every Apple.[anything] - even though they share word with 727 others in the USA alone (plus all those in 200+ countries).

Article is on http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/internet/11/20/interview.lynn.idg/index.html

Link: WIPO.org.uk

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy