Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Garry Anderson
Date/Time: Sun, December 2, 2001 at 9:44 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Subject: Abuse of Trademarks

FACT: Any trademark attorney will tell you - a business cannot get a the word mark of its product or service type (class) e.g. Apple Computers cannot have 'computer'.

THEREFORE: As Sunrise is 'supposed' to be specifically for trademarks - any domains taken of same class would be abuse of mark. This also goes for any WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS IN STYLIZED FORM which may have been granted. The reason it was granted, was because it was a 'graphic' and not text.

Would any brave lawyer, reading this, wish to contradict me?

The socks company with trademark 'computer' would not be allowed to amend mark to include computers.

They would be abusing their mark to go into that business.

This is why the authorities should be checking that domains taken in Sunrise do not show the descriptive product or service that they state.

Like science.info, awarded in Sunrise, does not show science business.

There are many thousands of businesses in this science classification - is it fair competition or 'unfair competition' that one should be allowed to (ab)use there trademark to get this domain?

I would say 'unfair competition' - Would any lawyer reading this, wish to contradict me?

Any domains 'supposedly' taken 'accidentally' in Sunrise (like I believe them), should be given back.

My WIPO.org.uk site makes it very clear where I lay the blame.

Why do the authorities (and their lawyers), reading these posts or going to my site, not defend themselves?

Why do they not tell me, if I am wrong?

I give message, "With these logically reasoned findings - I truly believe authorities are corrupt" - and silence is the reply.

I have WIPO.org.uk to broadcast the facts and SWIPO.org for satire/show disdain.

As the United Nations WIPO.org take away similar named domains, do you not find that even SLIGHTLY newsworthy?

Why do you think the media (as we know, mostly controlled by Big Business), do not have headline - "Cybersquatter on World Intellectual Property Organization"?

Link: WIPO.org.uk

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy