Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: InterNetAdvocate
Date/Time: Wed, December 12, 2001 at 10:34 AM GMT (Wed, December 12, 2001 at 3:34 AM PDT)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows NT 5.0
Subject: I welcome any lawyers to critique my answer herewithin ...

"Who decides in which juristiction a legal will take place? If I am in the UK and a company in the US wishes to launch a legal challenge against me, will it be in the UK or US courts? Is it up to me, or them? Do I get to choose UK? Or can they insist on US? And if so, does this mean I have to piss about trying to find a lawyer I've never heard of in a far away land?"

Lawyers are welcome to critique my answer hereinbelow:

Binational treaties and/or international law determine this.

Usually the jurisdiction is in the country of the transaction or incident generating the lawsuit.
For example, if a British Petroleum [BP] gas pump in America blows up spontaneously, injuring an American, the lawsuit jurisdiction would be America.  But if an American tourist is injured at a BP station in Britain, then the jurisdiction would be Britain.

Often, contracts include a clause as to the jurisdiction of disputes, even as to a particular state in America.

Satisfied with my answer?  Or do you still think I'm blowing smoke out the doors and windows of Microsoft.

IntemetAdvocate is _not_ InternetAdvocate. [Note that m looks like rn in Intemet.]  This warning is needed, due to a fraudulent poser IntemetAdvocate using my name in the Real Name field and trying to pose as me InternetAdvocate.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy