Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Gregory W. Krajewski
Date/Time: Sun, December 30, 2001 at 3:18 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Subject: Rebuttal with respect to "First Come, First Served"

I agree with your comments, and appreciate your legal point of view, but I would argue that the "Sunrise" was first-come first-served to would be TM holders.  Same thing with challengers....

My original point (which I hope doesn't get lost) is that this "Sunrise" allowed generic terms or words to be taken before the general population had a chance to get them.  To me that opens up a legal can of worms. 

Here is a question for you to ponder:  Do I not have a "first come, first serve" right when it comes to public domain type words (yes/no??).  If your answer is "no"....Only TM owners can own generic terms, as a means to produce commerce, then you alienate my rights a part owner of a common term.  If you agree with me, then the premise to which the "Sunrise" was built on is as shaky as this entire domain name process....

DISCLAIMER:  These are opinions, not threats, or directed at anyone.  I am merely opening a intelligle discussion.  What I hope to shed light on is the future:  Will we still have access to common terms.  If not then 95% of the world will be not have the same chances in the new commerce as TM holders of generic terms/words.  So it's a no brainer that when new TLDs emerge or new methods, large corporations, wealthy inviduals will have a leg up as they would simply secure these general terms for there use.  What recourse do we have?  Nothing it seems like....

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy