Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: breeves
Date/Time: Tue, January 22, 2002 at 3:57 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Subject: What's up with .info ?

After much debate and patience, ICANN approved the release of the .INFO domain along with some others (.BIZ, .NAME, ...).

It is looking more and more to me that the .info domain space will not take off as expected and will not become even remotely as popular as the well established and entrenched .Com.  According to Afilias, .info is approaching 1 million registrations.  But the number of registrations isn't the point.  Can you tell me of any major company that is marketing and using their brand as a .info site?
Check it out for yourselves, put cnn.info , bbc.info, generalmotors.info into your browser and you'll get page not found.  Only dell.info goes somewhere, but it just points to dell.com.  The way I see it, is that unless some major company develops a .info site, .info will not take off.  Ask any of your friends who aren't into domain names, I'll bet not one of them will even heard of .info.  As for the spectulators, I bet most will just keep them, waiting for some company to buy them at a ridiculous price.  Only a few will get developed into sites, but they will just be of the mom and pop variety.

I hate to be cynical, but the way I see it is that .info has a very long way to go before it gets established.  I personally don't see it happening, I don't think it will even approach the value of  .org or .net.  It's a shame, because .info really had some promise.

Bill  Reeves

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy