Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: psbyowner
Date/Time: Thu, February 7, 2002 at 4:12 PM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.7 using Windows 98
Subject: You can have my .org when you pry it from my cold, dead hands

You can have my .org when you pry it from my cold, dead hands...       

This message is a response to the proposal of changing the format of .org to strictly "Non-Profit" organizations.

1. How can a singular definition of "Non-Profit" be applied to .org websites? The formal definition of "Non Profit" is too narrow to justify the huge disruption this will cause with current .org owners and webmasters.

2. How will ICANN police the web content to insure it is indeed non profit? If there is no way to enforce a law, then it is not logical to initiate it.

3. Many people have made sizeable investments in .org as a general and non-specific use domain name. 

4. After years of common law acceptance as a general use domain, it is not logical to disrupt the hundreds of thousands of .org owners and initiate a "new" strict formats.

5. .org owners should not be penalized. Once the domain name was sold, the circumstances surrounding that sale did not specify that
the corporation be a non-profit.

6. Will the US government and/or ICANN sieze these names from the owners? The ends do not justify the means, because so many people will be negatively affected for the benefit of, well, nobody.

7. Website content cannot be controlled by any government body, because of free speech rights.

8. There is an extensive list of companies, organizations, and websites that have voiced their opposition to ANY change in the current web format for .org and .net. Please visit www.handsoffmy.org to protect your rights and join the fight as a .org domain name owner!

Link: Keep yer filthy stinkin' dick-skinners off my .org!

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy