Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: S. Hudgens
Date/Time: Mon, February 18, 2002 at 9:13 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Competition with .com

"the .com cartell Afilias are happy to have .info under-promoted and for .info registrations to remain just a small fraction of their business and not bother to make it really competitive with a tattered .com."

Neither .info or .biz were, in my opinion, ever intended to compete with .com.  Strangly (or perhaps not), none of the chosen seven compete with .com at all.  This isn't to take away from either TLD, but you have to admit that it is difficult at best to call either .info or .biz 'generic' in the truest sense of the word (of course, .com wasn't originally intended to be generic, either).  After all, it is fairly obvious that any site appended by .info will be (surprise) informative in nature, and any site appended with .biz will likely function as a business.  The way UDRP works, I think the .biz registry will eventually become a minor duplication of .com.  Nothing more.

If you want a TLD that will compete with .com, then I might suggest looking back through the original applications and see which ones you think would do that.

Shelby Hudgens

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy