Return to New TLD Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: dtobias
Date/Time: Wed, February 20, 2002 at 1:41 PM GMT (Wed, February 20, 2002 at 8:41 AM EST)
Browser: Netscape Communicator V5.0 using Windows dows
Score: 5
Subject: Thanks!  :)

Thanks for your compliment...  I think, despite the many screwups of the registries and registrars, new TLDs can still catch on if they start getting used, and the public starts seeing them used.  It will be very hard for new TLDs to enter the public consciousness, as much of the public has "internalized" a stupid, ignorant conception of domain names where it's just a flat namespace with .com at the end (and many of them can't even get it correct at that -- I observe people to do all sorts of silly things like type URLs into search engines rather than the location bar, or try to stick "www." on the front of email addresses) -- but it's not impossible.  It would help if the registries of the new TLDs started advertising in noticeable places.  Just one commercial on the Super Bowl mentioning a new TLD would have had a lot of impact.  (But, did you notice, the Super Bowl advertisers this year mostly avoided mentioning domain names at all... the "Dot Com Boom" is long over, and even the Internet-related companies like E-Trade did commercials this year without ever mentioning the dreaded phrase "Dot Com" -- I guess they presumed their intended audience already knew how to find them on the Net so they didn't have to quote their address specifically -- and non-Internet company commercials like for beer and credit cards, less often felt the obligation to show a URL than before.  So ".com" isn't being as obsessively hammered into the public any more; it's passe' by now; there's an opening for new names if they can promote themselves.)

--Dan
Dan's Domain Site: http://domains.dantobias.com/
Link: Dan's Domain Site

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy