Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Garry Anderson
Date/Time: Sat, July 8, 2000 at 6:01 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Your Good Intentions

>But I tried to make it more attractive for trademarkholders, who do no want to register mybiz.us.42.reg, because it is difficult to remember.

I had in mind domino.pizza.us.reg - I will now explain why this can be the only LAWFUL answer. To make it LAWFUL can be the ONLY concideration.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

What the TM holders WANT does not come into it. You cannot ignore speed limits to get to an appointment on time. You cannot ignore any laws, because you do not like them.

The law they are ignoring at the moment is this - Misuse of trademark for anti-competitive purposes.

They are using their trademark so that it achieves dominance with that name.

>Creating 42 or more restricted gtlds gives them a fair chance to register in a first come-first serve way. So the first 42 trademark-holders of the same word could just register it whithout any extension in any of the 42 new gtlds or their open counterparts. They get: mybiz.reg, mybiz.biz, mybiz.rbiz, mybiz.show, mybiz.rshow, ...

This does not solve this problem: Let us look at worse case scenario. In each country there may be 42 companies with same name in different class - multiplied by 200 countries. This gives 8400 potential same name. 8400 - .com, .net, .org, and 200 ccTLDs = 8197 unable to use their name.

>If there are more than 42 trademark-holders of the same word they get a legal right to obtain the same gtld-name by adding the country code to it. They get: mybiz.reg/us, mybiz.rbiz/us, mybiz.rshow/us, ...

This would mean 200 countries would share mybiz.r(class)/us - I can not see them going for it - the r is ambiguous, reg is better tag.

>In the registered area each company may only register one domain name per each trademark. This gives every trademark-holder a fair chance.

Still does not let them all register.

>Omitting the classes just makes the domain name easier to remember for custumers and therefore more interesting for trademark-holders to register. And: As everybode else, they are allowed to register in the non-restricted area, too.

Omitting the class would cause consumer confusion (not allowed in TM law)- who owns domino.reg.us (or any of your variations)?

>That's what my intention is all about. I did NOT doubt the correctness of your proposel at all, though.

I could see your good intentions. I also WISH they could have a nice pretty short name, but to comply with trademark law - it just is not possible.

I have been very lucky getting this proposal validated by a IP & TM Attorney and also Mr. G. Gervaise Davis III, WIPO Panelist Judge.

As said all along - I do not claim this is my idea. I have just discovered what ICANN & WIPO MUST LOGICALLY HAVE KNOW ALL ALONG.

There is absolutely no reason why they cannot use short names for ADVERTISING (look at all the wierd ads out their) - in which case one of your good short solutions, I believe, would be well suited to many (not that they are wierd in any way) :-)

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy