Return to Proposed Revisions to NSI Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: delphis
Date/Time: Thu, March 1, 2001 at 6:18 PM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.75 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Leave .org's alone!

Many people, including myself, registered their .org domains in GOOD FAITH .. Now, ICANN wants to CHANGE the rules and is talking about taking away those domains by some misguided and misinformed notion that .org was originally meant for 'non-profit organizations'. Wrong. According to RFC 1591 ORIGINALLY .org was 'intended as the miscellaneous TLD for organizations that didn't fit anywhere else. Some non-government organizations may fit here.' .. Anything that didn't fit anywhere else! .. that's anything not companies or networks as I read it.

Companies removed from .org would probably make sense, but you CANNOT ALLOW the removal of the .org domain for individuals who would like to own domains - which should be their right to be treated equally along with companies. It's not all just for corporations, ICANN! The corporatization of the web is something that has taken over the free purpose of the Internet.

I hope ICANN realizes just how many people are going to be very frustrated and angry with them unless they revise their proposals.

Link: RFC 1591

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy