Return to Proposed Revisions to NSI Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: klieber
Date/Time: Thu, March 1, 2001 at 6:26 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows NT 5.0
Score: 5
Subject: Public request for ICANN clarification re: .org changes

There are obviously a lot of people who are upset with the proposed changes to .org.  However, if you read the wording of the proposed changes, it never says that you have to be a non-profit corporation.  It simply says you must be a "non-profit organisation".  (I admit that I glossed over this the first time I read it -- someone else pointed it out to me)

So, I request that ICANN clarify exactly what they intend by these proposed changes to .org.  If you are a private individual who is not trying to make money off of a .org site, will you be able to keep the domain?  Or, will .org domain name holders be required to demonstrate some legally recognized non-profit status.

I, for one, have no problem with commercial, for-profit organizations being forced out of .org -- that's what .com is for.  I do, however, have a problem if you're going to try to take domains away from people who only use them for personal reasons and don't make a dime off of them.  (especially since you're going against RFC 1591 at that point.)

You can make a lot of people happy by clarifying this issue quickly.

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy