Return to Proposed Revisions to NSI Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: erratic
Date/Time: Fri, March 2, 2001 at 12:46 AM GMT (Thu, March 1, 2001 at 7:46 PM EST)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: and the purpose of this is?

While the properly spun news release of the "positive" changes that will result from this little insider agreement (that is suddenly opened up for comments less than two weeks before the hearing on them) is worded innocuously enough, the purpose for the .org change is is what, exactly?

The explanation of what is to occur with whom and for how long is clearly spelled out, yet the justification for what specific problems or abuses exist within the .org TLD that demand such a drastic policy change is conspicuously absent.

Is the stampede of individuals who have legitimately registered and created their own content without the benefit of incorporation infringing on the rights of "legitimate" NPO's who are shut out of their own registered names?  Is this of such a scale that the reclamation of the entire TLD is the only solution?  If so, why has this proposal not been issued for .com's, which clearly have been the target of far more rampant abuse, and declare the domain squatting resolution process, which already prevents legitimate victims of such abuse, ineffective for .org's?

This reeks of either incompetence or collusion, and I am undecided which of the two worries me more.  .ORG's are already legitimate...this agreement is the bastardization...a solution to a problem that does not need to be fixed.

Don't tell me this is a positive change.  Convince me.  Otherwise this is just another idiotic change...for change's sake.

Link: loony.org

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy