Return to Proposed Revisions to NSI Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: LoneWolf
Date/Time: Fri, March 2, 2001 at 2:47 AM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.61 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: .org for all non-profit uses, else a tld for personal domains required

As of now, the .org has been the catch-all for domains which do not fit in the .com, .net or .edu (or country tlds) categories. It is important that there exists a tld which can be used for personal domains, i.e. non-profit persons, compared to non-profit organizations. Personally, I registered a .org well over a year ago, which I use for my personal web site, my email accounts, as well as distribution of software I have created and decided to release to the public. If the .org tld is restricted to non-profit _organizations_ only, this would force me to register a different domain under a different tld, and currently there exists nothing more appropriate than .org (remember, it was originally intended as the catch-all for all non-profit uses). So my final point is, if you do choose to restrict .org (which I am against), there is a great need for a new tld which would cater for personal/private use (e.g. a .priv domain). Also, should you restrict .org, will you pay the registration fees for the corresponding .priv domain? :)

/Johny     

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy