Return to Proposed Revisions to NSI Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: nelsonrn
Date/Time: Fri, March 2, 2001 at 4:29 AM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.61 using XWindows/Linux 2.2.17 (Pentium)
Score: 5
Subject: .orgs are not necessarily that organized

Many .org domains (in particular, the ones I manage) are not for profit non-organizations.  I've registered them for my religion ,Quakerism (quaker.org), Linux Winmodems (linmodems.org), Dan Bernstein's tinydns program (tinydns.org), publicfile program (publicfile.org), and his emailer (qmail.org).

All of these domains are public-service domains, but there is no non-profit owning them.  It's just lil' ole me providing all this public service.  By myself.  Paying for the domains myself.  Isn't it enough that I pay to maintain the domains?  Do I now have to organize myself into a non-profit organization?  What requirements are going to be placed on organizations seeking these free domain names?  Remember the trouble that started all this mess?  Domain names were free.  We're not returning to those days, so there will be some barrier to pass to get a .org domain name.  Is that organization going to cost me more than $35/year?  If so, DON'T BOTHER TRYING TO HELP ME.  I'd rather just pay for my .org domains, thankyouverymuch.
-russ

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy