Return to Proposed Revisions to NSI Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: mccalli
Date/Time: Fri, March 2, 2001 at 2:25 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V4.01 using Windows NT
Score: 5
Subject: Personal .org's - proposed resolution process

As the owner of eruvia.org, which is certainly not for profit, I support the removal of profit-making organisations from the .org domain. These should have been placed in the .com domain in any case.

However, I entirely oppose the removal of .org from non-profit 'entities'. That is, any entity which does not make a profit - in my case, eruvia.org, which is a simple family homepage and which provides me with a permanent email address, regardless of ISP. I believe linmodems.org has been mentioned in this forum - that too is a domain which generates no profit, although it is not a 'personal' domain in the same sense that eruvia.org is.

My use of .org complies with the original RFC. The circumstances I describe above are a long way from unique - many people here will have registered a .org address for their personal use.

I propose that a global resolution process be adopted. An owner has the right to the domain until a complaint is made. The complaint can succeed only on the basis that a .org domain can be proven to generate profit. In such circumstances, the domain is allowed to expire (ie. -not- immediately removed) without the possibility of renewal.

In all other cases, the .org domain should be allowed to stand.

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy