Return to Proposed Revisions to NSI Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Peej
Date/Time: Fri, March 2, 2001 at 2:57 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows NT 4.0
Score: 5
Subject: The whole ICANN/NS thing is wrong

Domain registration shouldn't cost money. It's not as though you are actually buying something off of someone, you're not. You are however buying a service from your ISP to resolve your domain to your IP through their name servers. Domain registration should be done by a non-profit (.org ;) company who charge you for the time it takes to update the master DNS records, and that is all. Infact, this process could be totally automated (we are using computers right, we have the technology right?) and thus totally non-profit. Why should I pay a hugely inflated price to some fat cats for something which has been born out of the open information source, such as the Internet. What gives ICANN the right (or the companies it passes this right on to, ie. NS/VeriSign) to charge me money for nothing but the right to have a domain name, when I then have to pay someone else for the right to use it. This doesn't make sense. Perhaps we should all start our own master DNS servers and produce our name spaces thus bypassing ICANN, NS, and all the fat cats making profit off of innocent hard working net folk.

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy