Return to Proposed Revisions to NSI Agreements Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: tomsey
Date/Time: Sun, March 4, 2001 at 7:00 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: ICANN is on a perilous path

In my opinion, ICANN is in real danger of being severely modified or even dismantled by congress due to unprecended outrage and protest against a potential change of status of .org. I imagine that this will begin to really pick up steam around tuesday. What ICANN may be failing to realize is that a  potential change to .orgs status is creating a perception that the door has been opened wide to a potential change to .nets status and ultimately, .com. In effect, this decision potentially effects everyone. The point is, with congress just having scolded ICANN for so and such, the last thing ICANN needs is an unprecedented righteous uproar brought right to congress's door from a wide, powerful and diverse group. The whole internet basically. I say leave the tlds alone. Create one for this purpose.  The longer you sit on this, the more this is gonna snowball. If it really gets huge and a lot of momentum going - which it will, congress may not be satisfied with just disapproving the proposal. There is still time but not much.

Respectfully,
Tom

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy